Friday, October 10, 2008

My daily commute 私の毎日通勤

-
Three days a week I commute to Miki High School, which is my base school. I really enjoy the work environment there; the school focuses on English instruction, and there are special tracks for students to focus their language study. Many of the students are highly motivated and have a good command of English. I work with another ALT, which is nice as well. The other two days I go to Ono Technical High School, which focuses on trade training (electronics, metals, machinery, etc.). During school breaks I go to Miki every day. When I first began the trek to Miki it took about 50 minutes. Since then I have inherited a bicycle that I keep at the station in Miki, shortening my commute to about 40 minutes. I start of the day by walking about 7 minutes from our house to the station in Ono. I pass by this contemporary Buddhist temple after walking by the flowers pictured above.
-
-
I walk around Ono High School, which is Joe's base school. This is the front of the school.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Next, I walk past some houses and this tiny park.
-
-
I round the corner by the bicycle parking and pass through a small commercial district with a bento shop, camera shop, cram school, pediatricians office, cosmetics shop, and fugu restaurant.
-




-
I arrive at the station, which has a small snack and drink shop on the first floor.
-


-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
On the third floor is the ticket machine.
-
-
I then pass through the ticket gate and board the train.
-

-
This is actually my ticket home, but you get the idea, ipod and ticket in hand.
-
-
I ride the train for about 12 minutes past rice fields, homes, and hilly forests of oak and bamboo. Very beautiful and idyllic.
-



-
I then arrive in Miki at this small station, which is where I now ride my bike from. If it is raining I still walk, it's a about a mile from the station to school. The trick for riding my (one-speed) bike is that it is an uphill climb to get to work (but nice to get home!). I take a different route when riding my bike so I can get up the steepest part of the hill first. These photos are of the walking route.
-
-
I pass by a small hospital and then walk through a residential area. Most people have many beautiful potted plants outside their homes.
-
-
I then pass by an elementary school and over this cemented-in creek.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
All told, I pass by 12 vending machines each way.
-




-
I then pass this small factory which seems to make metal grating.
-
-
I love the bonsai at this house! (left side of photo)
-
-
Flower garden.
-
-
I took these photos in late August and early September when the rice was starting to go to seed. Currently many fields are being harvested.
-
-
A garden shed.
-





-
This is the Shinto shrine that I pass, you can see the shrine building in the upper right corner.
-
-
Uphill past more houses, gardens, and rice fields. Right after this area is a garden where I often see two orange tabby cats chasing bugs or sunning themselves.
-
-
Mountains in the distance.
-
-
After going by an apartment building I pass between this cemetary and a large retention pond that has many water lillies in it.
-
-
At last, arrival at Miki High School!
-
In retrospect, as I review these photos I realize that I took them in the late afternoon during a school break. As a result there are very few people in any of them. In reality I share my commute with many people, and most days have a difficult time getting a seat on the train (for example). It's a rare day to see the streets so empty! Sorry for being misleading...
-

No comments: